Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fighting The Fear....

The fear of getting back on the playing surface after sustaining a serious injury can be a daunting task. As a former Division 1 Collegiate baseball player that sustained a major knee injury that required two surgeries and 16 months of rehabilitative strength training just to get back to practicing again, I understand the demons faced just to get back onto the field.
Overcoming those demons were the toughest part of getting back on the field. The thought of my injury lingered in my head. The simple act of running to first (which was how my injury occurred), was a mountain that I had to get over. For the longest time I would slow down when approaching the bag and it really took a toll on me. My strength was back to where it should be, but the fear of my injury really hindered me from being the player I was before it occurred. It took a little time, but I eventually came to grips with the fact that if I ever wanted to play baseball again I would have to face those demons and push through the mental block. Once I did, my "game" came back and I was out there having fun playing the sport that I love without fear.
For athletes today that have sustained a major injury, it might not be as easy as just regaining the strength and conditioning to get you back on the field. If you do have the mental issue of getting back out there you will have to find the will to persevere.
Fight that fear and get back to playing the sport that you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment