Monday, November 21, 2011

Getting the Most From Your Time/Training

Recently, I have been switching up my normal training habits with great success. My standard training protocol was to perform one main lift. It may have been squat, bench, deadlift, or hang cleans. That was followed by an assistance exercise that related to the main lift for the day. For example, on squat days I would follow up with good mornings and some back work. This was mainly due to not having a solid hour where I could do my workout. The training was interrupted by work-related tasks, either a coach needed me to do something, or I had 30 minutes before one of my teams came in and I knew I wouldn't have time to do everything I know I should do. The last 6 weeks I have made some changes that have helped my time management and my training go much better. Here is a list of changes I have made:

Begin with a thorough warm-up and speed training
I have been short changing my workouts by not doing a good warm-up. But now, in the limited time I have, I make sure I do a good warm-up. This is a dynamic warm-up that encompasses the entire body. It gets my heart rate up and addresses imbalances in the body and increases joint mobility. If anything, I know this has made me feel better on a consistent basis. After my warm-up, I do short sprints or agility work to really get my nervous system fired up and it helps my mind prepare for the task at hand.

Perform core lift with an activation exercise
I have been doing squats coupled with box jumps, bench press with med ball throws, and hang cleans with depth jumps. This allows me to work in a lower volume set/rep scheme and maximize the effectiveness of the lift. The heavy weight of the core lift recruits more motor units. Then immediately going to a plyometric/ballistic movement in relatively the same pattern, increases speed of contraction. After one set, I have recruited a large number of motor units and increased the rate at which they are recruited. After four sets, I have tapped deeper into my musculoskeletal system and nervous system than if I were to have done straight sets of just the core exercise. In the end, the stimulus I have put my body through has resulted in more Type II fiber work, increased efficiency of the nervous system, and a more sport-applicable task has occurred, increasing transference of training.

Usually at this point in my training, I have run out of time and must end the current session. That is fine though, because I have addressed imbalances in my body, increased joint mobility, and performed weight-bearing exercises that increase GH and Testosterone production, bone density, and some level of conditioning by pairing exercises, doing sprints, and performing a continuous movement warm-up. I now have two options: do my accessory work at the end of the day or the following day. This mainly depends on how much time I have left in the day and what tomorrow looks like. Either way, these are the other changes I have made that helped.

Unilateral strength effort movements related to the core exercise
These exercises address the weaknesses in the kinetic chain, increase joint stability, and emphasize target muscle groups to assist the core lift. I begin the next training session with these lifts because they get my heart rate elevated again and increases number of motor units recruited, which will make the most out of my high volume assistance work that I will be doing after the unilateral SE work. For example, following squats I do lateral lunges, cleans: single-leg RDLs, and bench press: single-arm dumbbell rows. The lateral lunges help me to concentrate on pushing me knees apart as I squat, as well as increasing the number of planes that I train in, which helps knee and hip health, while also training to be more athletic. The back training with bench works the antagonistic muscle group to increase stabilization of the shoulder joint during pressing movements, and strengthens posture muscles related to all lifts.

High volume single-joint assistance work
I finish the training session with high-rep sets of exercises that relate to the core lift. For example, squats: TKEs, cleans: power-shrugs or heavy glute bridges, and bench: tricep extension of some sort. I know power-shrugs are not single joint exercises, but I do them to train in the same movement pattern as the clean and focus on hip extension (and I love shrugs). With bench press, I do tricep extensions. I usually prefer bands because they can be manipulated to train in different planes and body positions you cannot do with free-weights. From time to time I do close grip bench or plate presses. Again, not a single-joint movement, but the prime mover in the exercise is the triceps.

The final thing I have changed in my training for the better is weighted or stabilizing core (abs) work. The exercises I have been performing recently with much success are : wrestler's twist, Paloff press, and walking planks. They all involve the shoulders, which is good for me because I have a winged left scapula I am trying to fix. The wrestler's twist involves placing a barbell with one end in a corner and weight on the other end. While grabbing the weighted end, violently rip the weight from one hip to the other in an arcing motion, as if trying to body-slam someone. I perform the Paloff press in a squat stance with bands attached to a bar, perpendicular to the plane I am pressing in. As I press the band away from the body, the trunk must resist rotation. The walking planks begin on your hands in a push up position. Slowly walk the feet backwards until your body is in a straight line, and your nose is as close to the ground as it can go, without the body completely collapsing.

One thing I highly emphasize, but did not address as a change, is multi-planar movements. I have been doing this all along, which is why it is not a change. Make sure you are pressing and pulling in all planes, as well as lunging/squatting/jumping in all planes as well. It creates a better athlete, but also a better body because we were meant to move, not just look pretty and lift heavy weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment